Friday 27 March 2009

Rhodes W1

Ahh, Restaurant Week. 3 courses for 25 pounds. It's very reminiscent of being back in the States, but instead of cross-listing the restaurant week restaurants with the Zagat guide, I did it with the Michelin guide. So we pulled down 4 Michelin starred restaurants at great prices. Our first was Rhodes W1, who I went with some Wharton friends. I was pretty impressed to begin with, as one of them is vegan and asked them to make a vegan restaurant week menu for her... and they did!

Quite a posh French restaurant with a pehaps overly ornate chandelier at every table, Rhodes W1 is tucked in the Great Cumberland Hotel by Marble Arch.

Here's what I had:

Amuse Bouche: Pumpkin Soup with Almond and Lemon Veloute. I thought this was delightful.


Cured Salmon, crisp quail's egg, shaved fennel. The quail's egg was particularly neat and tasty, I thought.

Braised pork cheeks, butternut squash, and hazelnut. Tender pork cheeks and quite tasty. They even put the sauce on the side. Big fan of the squash.

Biscuit glace, mango sorbet and milk emulsion. This was way tastier than I thought it was going to be. It sounded a little boring, but I ended up not at all regretting not ordering the chocolate brownie.

No comments:

Post a Comment