Sunday 8 March 2009

St. John

So we went to St. John a while ago, excited since Restaurant Magazine had it ranked as the 17th best restaurant in the world in 2008. They do nose-to-tail eating, so you eat like all sorts of animal parts. It was very good, and also very affordable which is a plus.

My appetizer was little rolls of pig spleen, which were very different and quite tasty:

I had the special, which was a hare saddle and swede. I don't think I'd order hare again; it has an interesting taste to it. I guess you can call it really gamey, but I think a more accurate and more sophisticated term would be "poopy." But when it comes to eating, I'm all about trying everything at least twice, so maybe the next time will be a better experience. The swede however, was SPECtacular.


I did like the little bullets inside of the hare, althougha little warning would have been nice before I confusingly chomped on bits of metal...

Dessert was a very tasty and very British Eccles cake with a giant slab of Lancashire cheese. Giant, but not unmanageable. Quite good, really.


My mom got a half-dozen madeleines, which were very good warm, as well as the next morning for breakfast.


So St. John. Very tasty, yes. 17th in the world? I think we're going to attribute that to it's uniqueness and nose-to-tail eatingness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment